Children's day 2016

“We usually hear that children and youth are the future of our societies. The truth is that they are also the present. Our children are agents of change within their families and communities and their right to be heard and to participate in a meaningful way to the development of society must be fully respected."
"Our children will be what we will help them to be. The world is what we and they make of it. It is a responsibility we all share - it is a duty we cannot elude.”
Joint Statement on the occasion of Universal Children’s Day
Brussels, 20 November 2016
Extracts from European Commission - Statement

How do we get this message out, I believe it starts in the family setting, however the family is structured. Finding time to reflect on our thoughts and actions allows us to think about our relationships, think about our children and think about ourselves. Responsibility starts with ourselves, recognising our self-worth to able to recognise it in others. What are your thoughts?

I think you are so right … In the words of Dorothy Law Nolte;

"If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance,they learn to be patient.
If children live with acceptance,they learn to love …"

But for a whole number of reasons children are not always able to experience encouragement or tolerance from their family. Sometimes they experience criticism, or ridicule or shame.

I think that’s why it’s so important that looking after children is everyone’s responsibility - a community approach. I see in my work that children and young people can be a really positive influence in their families and can be the instigators of change or doing something differently.

Thanks for this Abbey, wise words. When I talked about family structures and settings I meant it in the broadest sense but totally agree with your comments.Given the right support and guidance children and young people can be catalysts of change within the family. We all have our part to play, it’s matter of how we play that part and for some this can be more difficult than others. My observations and anecdotal experiences with parents on training, I note that for some they reflect and go away with a more thoughtful attitude towards their role within the family and their relationship with their children. This for me is progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Contact us

0131 475 2493
Norton Park 57 Albion Road EH7 5QY Edinburgh