Child protection or family support, perceptions

Given the tragic events of Liam Fee and recent others, it has triggered the bigger debate around the ‘named person’ implementation and its effectiveness. I heard a senior official this week saying how disappointed they were about the negative publicity it was getting because it was misleading and creating a culture of fear. The reality, they suggested was very different describing the named person akin to when midwifes and health visitors used to drop in and make sure all was right with the family, and the families used to welcome them into their homes because they felt safe and supported. The perception is very different now, there is suspicion around this initiative, the fear of been spied or reported on. I suppose the question I would want to pose is, how do we dispel the negativity, can’t child protection be an integral part of family support through improving relationships, health and wellbeing, compassion and understanding, personal efficacy and communications, building foundations for trust, resilience and openness. Just how do we do this, let the SCCR know your thoughts.

Just as you have pointed out I think relationships are key. We are very quick to blame, point the finger or, at the other end of the scale say “this is nothing to do with me”. Of course there needs to be accountability when things go badly wrong but what if looking after our children and young people was a community effort? If we nurture a culture of support and compassion perhaps those struggling will be more likely to ask for help before things escalate. Families who are struggling should not be blamed or told they wrong, they should be supported ad encouraged to do things differently.

Contact us

0131 475 2493
Norton Park 57 Albion Road EH7 5QY Edinburgh