2016 is Year of the Dad

“A great dad means that you have to play like a kid, give advice like a friend and protect like a bodyguard …”

Have you seen David Devenney’s new blog ??? http://scottishconflictresolution.org.uk/blog/

How are you celebrating the year of the dad? Tell us about what you think makes a great dad …

Hi Abbey, that is a great quote from David and very much true.
I think it is a difficult question what makes a great dad? For those like me, I felt I knew what it was to be a great dad. But, I struggled to achieve thus self perceived status and was always a bit envious of those who seem to have the natural ability to be all the things I felt self conscious about, in ‘being a great dad’. However my children are all grown up now, but I remember all the dad like behaviours that were funny, awkward, challenging, and sometimes wrong that has helped to shape my family as it is now. Now I believe the underpinning trait for being a great dad is being there in times of need, though not necessarily in times of want. My daughter always reminds that she knew that ‘I’ and her mum (married for 34 years) were always there whether she needed us or not. The comfort and security that gave my children has allowed them to thrive and us as a family to have a long and meaningful relationship. To be a great dad therefore is just to be ‘dad’.

Contact us

0131 475 2493
Norton Park 57 Albion Road EH7 5QY Edinburgh